List Of Personal Essay Topics
A personal essay is a unique type of writing which is simple on the one hand but difficult on the other.
It must have a detailed structure:
- Introduction — using a key sentence to attract the audience’s attention.
- Body — includes several paragraphs to develop a topic.
- Conclusion — summarizing all points to state a final opinion.
A good personal essay can inspire readers and make them think and ponder. It gives the reader a glimpse of your personal life and experience, encourages imagination and dreaming. The first step to creating the best one is to choose the topic which has to be close to your heart. The closer is the situation to your life, the easier it is to describe it on a paper. This list has really nice prompts!
Personal Essay Topics
All topics can be divided into five blocks:
Family is the best thing in our life. The closest people who always support you can inspire you to write a perfect essay. Recollect your thoughts!
- Describe an event that brought you closer to your parents. What do you like to do together?
- Write about a member of your family who has had the most influence on you.
- How did your parents choose your name? Do you like it? If you could change it, what would be your name?
- Do you have a family tradition that you carry on?
- Describe the biggest conflict which you had with your sister/brother. What was the result of it?
- What makes your mom special? Name at least five of her best traits
- If your dad found out, he would kill you
- What is your favorite family holiday? How do you celebrate it?
- Have you ever been taught a lesson by your younger sister or brother? Was it useful?
- How do your parents react to your bad results?
Friends and love
Relationships are an integral part of our life. Everyone has an experience of true friendship or unfortunate love. Share it with others.
- How did you meet your best friend? Do you keep in touch today?
- Tell about your friend’s actions that disappointed you the most. What was the reason? How did this situation end?
- Have you ever experienced betrayal? What were your feelings that day?
- How do you like to spend the time with your friends?
- One thing you would change about your significant other
- Write about a person that means a lot. Why he or she is important?
- Did you have a secret love?
- Tell about the sweetest relationships that you had
- What is a real friendship for you? Do you have a best friend?
- Do you believe that love lives for three years? Do you have any examples from your life that can state that fact?
Are you keen on traveling? Do you want to see new places in the near future? Tell about them.
- What is the most beautiful city/country for you? What makes this place ideal?
- What is the most impressive building for you? Why is it special?
- What is a place that you want to avoid? Describe all disadvantages of it
- Did you visit any dangerous places? Was it terrifying?
- Have you ever traveled by plane? Tell all the pros and cons of that experience.
- Where do you want to live? Tell all the advantages of that place.
- A museum you would like to visit.
- Recollect the best places to hang out for youngsters. Give some tips for a good rest.
- Did you travel at school with your classmates? Describe a school trip that you was fun.
- What is the most memorable journey of your life? Why is it special to you?
These topics will help you show your creativity and develop your fantasy. Feel like an author of a fairy tale.
- Tell about a job of your dream?
- How different your life would be if you lived a century ago? Where would you live? What would you do?
- If you were a president for a day, what would you do?
- What a robot could never do?
- What animal would you like to be?
- How would you spend a million dollars?
- Name a public figure that you would like to be.
- In which popular film would you like to star? What kind of character would you like to be — positive or negative one?
- If you had a chance to invent something, what could it be? How can we use it in our life?
- What would you like to do in five years? How would you change your life?
You as an Individual
This list of topics is composed for people who are not afraid to tell about some personal flaws. Speak from your heart!
- Tell about the hardest news you’ve had to deliver. What were your feelings?
- Do you have a piece of up-to-date technology that you can’t live without?
- Have you ever tell a lie? If yes, describe your feelings at that time.
- A book/film that has changed your life. Why did it have such a strong impact on you?
- Tell about your experience of overcoming a fear.
- Describe a moment when you wanted to run away, but stayed. What stopped you at that time?
- Your latest act of kindness.
- Do you like to learn and study? What do you do to be an educated person?
- What do you want to change in yourself? What should you do to become better?
- The role of social media in your life. How do they influence you?
Here are some more tips:
Do not forget, while you are writing a personal essay, you have absolute freedom of using a unique writing voice. It can be conversational like you are speaking to your friend, or more formal, as you are talking to your teacher.
Use vivid descriptions of the real events to make the reader admire them. Try to depict each sound, smell and taste to help the readers feel like they are with you. Never be scared of failure and you will succeed!